Monumento

Gusukudake

gotosheng

2016/06/05

Tags: 伊波普猷 沖縄戦 沖縄県 那覇市

Guide plate text

Gusukudake
The hills at Sobe in Naha City, it is also referred to as Jogaku. The area is a part of the hills that stretch northwestward from the Sobe plateau. The altitude is about 32 meters above sea level.
The area was known for its scenic beauty, with the abundant growth of pine and other trees. In the history book The Annals of Ryukyu, the writer Zhou Huang, a deputy imperial envoy who came to the Ryukyus from China in 1756, depicted Gusukudake as one of the Eight Views of Ryukyu.
Around the middle, numerous tombs were constructed as if to encircle the hills, but in the Taisho period (1912-1926), construction of various facilities began, including the Okinawa Prefectural Daini Junior High School (present Naha High School), the Okinawa Prefectural Government Building, and Okinawa's penal institution. Together with this, the population of the area grew, and the lush greenery of Gusukudake transformed to residences and farm fields by the beginning of the Showa period (1926-1989).
During the Battle of Okinawa in 1945, the area was used by soldiers referred to as the Yama unit as their underground position to guard Naha, and a bloody battle ensured in the area in May of that year.
After the war, the peaks of the hills at Gusukudake were razed and on the approximately 6,612 m2 of land, an amusement park called Shinsekai was constructed by the Okinawa Bunka Kogyo Co, Ltd, and opened its doors to the public in September of 1951. It was one of the major attractions in Naha, and very popular with the people. Later, sales began to decline and the lot was sold to Naha City in 1961, and the amusement park closed its doors.
Naha City undertook the Jogaku Park project starting in 1971, and into the Heisei period (1989- ), the relocation of family tombs moved forward and park paths were laid at the foot of the hills.
Within the park are Gusukudake Omiya, a shrine that was reconstructed in 1962, and the Nichu Kenji-no To, the memorial erected for the students of Daini Junior High School, which was relocated from Onoyama Park (from the back woods of the Gokoku Jinja Shrine.

城嶽(グスクダケ)
Gusukudake
那覇市楚辺にある小丘陵。「城岳(じょうがく)」とも表記する。楚辺台地から北西に延びる丘陵の一部で、南側を除き、急斜面となっている。標高は約32m。
かつて、この一帯は、真和志間切古波蔵村の管内で、城嶽には、古波蔵村の拝所があり、3月・6月・9月の祭祀のほか、旱魃時には雨乞いの祈願が行われた。また、松や樹木が生い茂る景勝の地として知られた。1756年に中国から来琉した冊封副使周煌が著した「琉球国志略」の「球陽八景図」に、「城嶽霊泉」と題する絵があり、城嶽と東側にある「旺泉」(現:汪樋川)が描かれている。
丘の中腹には、取り囲むように多くの墓が造られていたが、西側の麓一帯は「沖縄学の父」といわれる伊波普猷 の畑地約2,500坪余があり、1914年(大正3)に、12坪程の瓦葺き平屋の別荘「曝書山房」を建て、晴耕雨読の日々を送ったという。
大正期には、城嶽周辺に、沖縄県立第二中学校(現那覇高校)、沖縄県庁、沖縄刑務所等が相次いで移設され、住宅が建ち並ぶようになり、かつての城嶽の鬱蒼とした林は、昭和初期には、宅地や畑地になっていたという。大正末から昭和初期にかけて発掘調査が行われ、中国の燕国(BC409~36年)の貨幣であった「明刀銭」や、沖縄では産出しない「黒曜石」が出土した。
1945年(昭和20)の沖縄戦 中は、山部隊の那覇守備隊陣地壕として使われ、5月には城嶽周辺で激しい戦闘も繰り広げられた。
終戦後、城嶽の山頂部は削り取られ、1951年(昭和26)9月、約2,000坪余の敷地に、沖縄文化興業株式会社が遊園地「新世界」を開園した。回転飛行塔・メリーゴーランド・電気豆汽車や小動物園、映画演芸場、食堂・売店なども置かれた本格的な遊園地で、那覇の一大名所として賑わったという。1961年(昭和36)に経営難のため、敷地は那覇市に売却され、閉園となった。
那覇市では、1971年(昭和46)から、「城岳公園」として整備を行い、平成に入ってからは、周辺の墓の移転作業も進み、丘の麓は、園路整備も行われた。
なお、公園内には、1962年(昭和37)に再興された城嶽御宮や、1990年(平成2)に奥武山公園(護国神社裏山)から移設された「二中健児の塔」が建っている。また、公園の麓には古波蔵村の「火の神(ヒヌカン)」や地域の村ガー(共同井戸)が残されている。

Texts

gotosheng
2016-06-28 21:16 (2089)
gotosheng
gotosheng
2016-06-26 18:09 (2)
gotosheng
gotosheng
2016-06-05 20:22 (995)
gotosheng

Comments/Photos

gotosheng gotosheng 6 months

城嶽(グスクダケ)

gotosheng gotosheng 6 months

#<User:0x0000000acd9448>

Footprints

0 footprints lefted here.

Embed tag

Guide plate Tour

Spots near

ogaworks (2015/06/04)
Tags: 沖縄県 那覇市
ogaworks (2015/06/04)
Tags: 1954 琉球政府 基地問題 沖縄県 那覇市
gotosheng (2016/07/29)
Tags: 沖縄県 那覇市
ogaworks (2015/06/04)
Tags: デイゴ 在伯沖縄協会 ブラジル沖縄県人会 沖縄県 那覇市
gotosheng (2016/06/12)
Tags: 沖縄戦 沖縄県 那覇市
ogaworks (2015/06/04)
Tags: デイゴ シーサー 沖縄県 那覇市
ogaworks (2015/06/04)
Tags: 沖縄県 那覇市
ogaworks (2015/06/04)
Tags: 沖縄県 那覇市
ogaworks (2015/06/04)
Tags: 沖縄県 那覇市