The Site of Ibaraki Teachers' College
明治7年, 小学校の教員養成のため, 水戸柵町に拡充師範学校が創立された。その後、
In the 7th year of the Meiji era(1874), the Amplified Teachers' School was established
in Saku-machi, Mito City, for the training of teachers of elementary schools. Later,the
school was moved to Takioka-cho in Mito City(currently near Kana-machi), and finally
moved to the site of this former Mito Castle in the 21st year of the Meiji era(1888).
In the 31st year of the Meiji era(1898), it's name was changed to Ibaraki Prefectual
Teachers College, and moreover it changed to Ibaraki Teachers' College, and in the 24th
year of the Showa era(1949) it became Ibaraki University. This school has contributed
largely to elementary education from its beginning.