The Site of Ohtemon (Main Gate) Bridge
This is the site of the two-storied Ohtemon Bridge, which borders the Ohtemon Bridge
and was built in the 6th year of the Keicho period (1601) by Satake Yoshinobu. This gate
served as the main entrance of Mito Castle until the generation of Tokugawa.
When this gate was in use there was a Gejo-no-Fuda (a sign indicating the place to
dismount from horse or palanquin) and a Bansho (the guard station) in this area.
Once people would hear the time being announced by the boating of the drum or the
ringing of the bells from the top of the castle, but it was demolished in the first year of
the Meiji era (1868).