Site of Demolished Kadena Sugar Mill
The Kadena sugar mill, which was formally called the Kadena factory of Okinawa Sugar Co., Ltd., came into operation in 1912. This factory came into operation as a brown sugar mill at first, and started operating as a centrifugal sugar mill in 1913. The factory was destroyed by the war and closed down.
Initially, sugar made in the factory was shipped by boat. The Kadena Line of the Okinawa Light Railway stretched to the premises of the factory in 1922, when the factory started the transportation of sugar by train.
With the construction of this sugar factory, a large number of people from Kadena, Chatan, and Yomitan were engaged in labor and they greatly contributed to the development of the town.
最初、在比制成的砂糖以船运出货, 但自1922年(大正11年)沖绳軽便鉄道嘉手納线舗没后,鉄路穿过厂内, 开始以鉄路搬运砂糖。